The original Fallons opened its doors in 1922 in Prosperous under the capable hands of Willie and Lucy Fallon. Selling seafood chowder back then was a tad ambitious so the business model had a slightly different twist. Starting out as a hardware shop with an attached bar licence the hostelry (now Larrys) set the foundation for the business it is today. The name took a brief trip to Wicklow where it resided over the door of Frank & Clare’s Leitrim Bar on the seafront (one of the first pubs in Ireland to serve bar food).
In 1978 the name returned to Kildare as Frank moved the family to the Red House Inn. Here Frank and Clare ran the famous old eatery until their son Brian took over in 1989. A vicious fire destroyed the old house in 2005 and razed the great business to the ground. The Red House was much loved and is still sorely missed. It played host to many a wedding, birthday celebration, family get together (and occasional fall out). Its hard to find a Kildare native without a connection to the famous old inn.
Brian Fallon moved his experienced team the short distance to Kilcullen, taking up residence in the restaurant of the famous Berneys Bar. Berneys had its own history, being synonymous with fine food for over three decades. The original plan was to house the staff while the Red House was being rebuilt, however the popularity of the venture convinced Brian to purchase the famous old eatery and give it a much needed revamp. What started as Café Tomat at Berneys has evolved to today’s Fallons – still serving great food locally.